NM requires restart to see encrypted AP's

Unfortunately the search function is borked, so I hope this issue hasn't been discussed already.

My specs
Wireless Driver:  ipw2200
Desktop:	  kde 3.5.5
NetworkManager:   0.6.4
KNetworkManager:  0.1
Encryption:	  wpa

I'm having issues with NM right after bootup, it doesn't show any access points that are using WPA/WEP encryption.  I can see my neighbours unprotected access point, but not my own encrypted one.  Even, if I try to force it to connect to my access point (by using the "connect to other wireless networks") it doesn't work.  However, if I manually restart the NetworkManager daemon, it shows my access point and I can connect to it without a problem.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem may be??

Thanks

Monty