Re: OpenVPN gui change

On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 14:03 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 21:28 -0500, Jon Nettleton wrote:
> > I finally had a need to get OpenVPN running at home and figured I would
> > just use the NetworkManager-openvpn from Fedora Extras.  Well it worked,
> > but the config gui was a little painful on my 1024x768 sub noteboook.
> >
> > I took a half an hour and created this patch that moves the optional
> > information to another tab.  Yes I know having tabs in tabs is bad, but
> > I don't have time to redesign the entire gui right now.  I also enabled
> > the port option that was in the code, but didn't have a gui
> > configuration entry ( I needed that functionality also.).  I probably
> > should have used the rport option, but again I don't have tons of time
> > to spend on this.  Here is the patch against 0.3.2
> >
> > http://www.hekanetworks.com/~jnettlet/NetworkManager/NetworkManager-openvpn-port-ui.patch
> >
> > For Fedora People running Core 6 here is an rpm. Note I also moved the
> > launcher from Internet to System Tools.
> >
> > http://www.hekanetworks.com/~jnettlet/NetworkManager/NetworkManager-openvpn-0.3.3-2.fc6.i386.rpm
> >

> > Hope this helps someone else out.
>
> Damn that's ugly :)

You are right and it is bothering me now.  How is this?

http://www.hekanetworks.com/~jnettlet/NetworkManager/openvpnconfig.png

Turn all the verbosity into Tooltips
Moving Optional to its own tab gives enough room so you can fit all the X.509 and Password Dialogues on 1 page getting rid of the need for tabs down there.
Fixup the general padding and alignment.

If there are no objections I will finish the code to make this work, shouldn't take long.

Jon