Re: NetworkManager-MobileBroadband and network choossing

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 09:56:09AM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 15:09 +0100, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > from
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NetworkManager-MobileBroadband :
> >
> > # scanning for available cellular networks (GSM only)
> > # selection of a cellular network (GSM only)
> > # show signal strength of currently connected cellular network
> >
> >  Which strikes me as odd. GSM networks aren't like Wi-Fi, user very very
> > seldom has to choose one. In fact, choosing GSM network is very corner
> > case, only close to country borders. In this situation foreign GSM
>
> Not really; in the US for example T-Mobile has coverage on the coasts,
> but not much in the middle.  There are plenty of times that when roaming
> even in the US I've needed to pick which carrier I wanted to use on my
> phone.  You can certainly automatically pick one that will probably be a
> good choice, but when dealing with a system that has the potential to
> bill you shedloads of $$$ if you make the wrong choice, we have to err
> on the side of caution.  You'll definitely have to pick the
> carrier-of-choice when setting up the GSM connection, but you probably
> won't need to change that much later on.

 Thanks for reply. One clarification: by "roaming" I mean using foreign
(as in from other country) cell network.

  I'm worried that user may not know which network to choose. Right know
my phone shows I'm in range of 3 domestic operators (PlusGSM, Era and
Orange PL). This situation is typical for almost whole Poland. I can
choose any of these networks and do not pay extra.
  Now, choosing network is obvious if someone is customer of one of
those 3 operators. But there are bunch of virtual operators and user may
be confused which network is "best".

 I'm looking forward for public consumable implementation. Then all doubts
will be ironed out in practice.

--
Tomasz Torcz                                                       72->|   80->|
zdzichu irc -nie spam- pl                                          72->|   80->|