NetworkManager-MobileBroadband and network choossing

 Hi,

from
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NetworkManager-MobileBroadband :

# scanning for available cellular networks (GSM only)
# selection of a cellular network (GSM only)
# show signal strength of currently connected cellular network

 Which strikes me as odd. GSM networks aren't like Wi-Fi, user very very
seldom has to choose one. In fact, choosing GSM network is very corner
case, only close to country borders. In this situation foreign GSM
network can be stronger (signal strenth wise) than local one, and user
has to manually switch to one of national networks to avoid roaming
charges. It at least was true some 10 years ago, I don't know how it's
handled now and how data connections are billed.

  In short, indicator for current strongest available GSM signal would be nice.
Displaying all available networks won't. And would unnecessaty clutter
interface.

  I'm currently using GPRS via Bluetooth via Nokia on Ubuntu. In future
I'm planning either replacing EVDO card in my Thinkpad by some approved
UMTS card, or using PCMCIA or USB HSDPA modem.

 (please keep me CC'ed on replies, I'm not subscribed).

--
Tomasz Torcz                "Funeral in the morning, IDE hacking
zdzichu irc -nie spam- pl    in the afternoon and evening." - Alan Cox