compiling nm-applet with a non-standard NM installation path

Hi list,

I'm trying to build NetworkManager and nm-applet from svn so that I
can hack on nm-applet. Building NM went all right and I installed it
to a non-standard location /home/fetchinson/opt so that it won't mess
up my distro shipped NM installation. Now I'm trying to build
nm-applet but it can't find NM:

checking for NMA... configure: error: Package requirements (dbus-glib-1 >= 0.72
                 glib-2.0 >= 2.10
                 NetworkManager >= 0.7.0
                 libnm_glib
                 libnm-util
                 gtk+-2.0 >= 2.6
                 libglade-2.0
                 gmodule-export-2.0
                 gconf-2.0
                 gnome-keyring-1) were not met:

No package 'NetworkManager' found
No package 'libnm_glib' found
No package 'libnm-util' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables NMA_CFLAGS
and NMA_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

I tried "export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/fetchinson/opt ; ./configure
--prefix=/home/fetchinson/opt" as well as "export
NMA_LIBS=/home/fetchinson/opt ; ./configure
--prefix=/home/fetchinson/opt" but the same error occured during
configuring.

How do I tell configure where the NM installation is?