Re: Proper WEP Code

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 17:10 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:

> WEP ASCII passphrases are standardized, WEP104 passphrases are
> de-facto
> standard (some implemented hashing for 40-bit WEP keys, but that's not
> really standardized at all), and Apple uses a completely different
> hashing scheme for it's "password".
>
> So no, WEP doesn't have a standardized passphrase->key hashing scheme.
> That's why you get 3 choices.
>
> WPA fixed this, where there is a standard for hashing a passphrase
> into
> a key, _plus_ they made it easy to differentiate a passphrase and a
> hex
> key, which is great because you can't do this with WEP, leading to
> people using what _look_ like hex keys as actual WEP passphrases.
>
> Dan
I am sure you think the above explanation is clear but it is not to me.
>From what I have read the WEP pasphrase is the encryption key.
and an ASCII passphrase is just a hex passphrase expressed in ASCII
characters,

What is the difference between a passphrase and a hex key and where does
hashing come in for WEP?
You know that feeling when you're leaning back on a stool and it starts
to tip over? Well, that's how I feel all the time. -- Steven Wright