Re: Proper WEP Code

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 11:48 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> writes:
>
> >> But the associated question do you really want to set the WEP encryption
> >> code in hex rather than in ASCII, which is another option.
> >
> > He needs to be sure he matches the setting used on the AP.  It won't
> > work if he uses the wrong type in the applet.  That said, most APs don't
> > use ASCII passphrases (it was an older lucent thing), so I'd expect it
> > to be a hex key, most likely.
>
> That's not necessarily true.  There's a difference between "WEP Password",
> "40/128 ASCII" and "40/128 HEX".  In the former case you do need to make
> sure that the AP is set up for a password, and you'd better hope that
> the AP uses the same string-to-key as NM.  But in the latter cases, you're
> just defining a key directly.  The only difference is whether you're
> supplying the key in hex or via the ascii character codes.  E.g., to
> enter a hex 'digit' of 41 you could just enter an ascii "A".  This does
> not require any special configuration on the AP, because you could use
> 'AAAAA' and '4141414141' interchangably in NM.
I am confused as usual. You are seeming to say that 40/128 ASCII
passphrase are for APs that already have a passwphrase stored in their
memory.

But then things get confusing. Are you saying that a 40/128 HEX
passphrase can actually change the passphrase stored in the AP?
I can't stand squealers; hit that guy. -- Albert Anastasia