Re: openvpn fixes against svn 3140

Jon Escombe wrote:
2) openvpn and NM are both trying to setup the routes after connection, I believe thats why there's an error message in the log. Perhaps we should be passing the --route-noexec parameter to stop openvpn manipulating the routes itself?

I don't think openvpn should be trying to setup routes unless specific
options are being passed (--route, --route-gateway), but I could be
wrong. Either way, there's no harm in passing that option.

3) As I'm using a TAP device type and therefore effectively bridged onto my vpn server subnet, my default route needs to include the gateway to get off that subnet. This is available as the route_vpn_gateway environment variable, but it's not picked up by NM. Not sure whether this would also be required for a TUN connection?

The openvpn plugin is picking up the "trusted_ip" env var and passing it
to NM as the gateway. This is the public ip of the openvpn server (same
ip we're passing to openvpn through --remote), so that NM can maintain a
route to that IP over the underlying network.

The route_vpn_gateway env var for me (using TUN) is set to the remote
endpoint of the TUN device (which is in private address space).

I think I'm going to need to switch to TAP and play with things a bit.

(Thanks for your help testing by the way!)

-casey