VPN API

I understand that the VPN API is currently in flux, but am looking for any documentation on the current API or the direction the API is going. (Or is this all just locked up in someone's head).

NetworkManager-openvpn on Fedora 8 is broken. I'm happy to try to whip it into shape, but have no familiarity with how all of the NetworkManager pieces fit together, especially how NetworkManager calls out to the VPN plugins.

Are either the vpnc or pptp plugins being kept up to date with API changes? If so, at least I have known working code to work from.

Thanks,

-casey