Re: DNS quits working on VPN/PPTP connection after Feisty upgrade

On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 11:46 -0400, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for your work on NetworkManager. It's been a pleasant tool to
> use.
>
> I recently upgraded Ubuntu from Edgy to Feisty, which I think means NM
> got bumped from 0.6.3 to 0.6.4.
>
> Since then, I have this odd problem:
>
> When I use NM to make the same PPTP VPN connection I did before, DNS
> quits working completely, inside and outside of the ranges the VPN is
> limited to. I can still ping IPs, but the name resolution quits
> working.
>
> When I disconnect from the VPN, DNS is restored.
>
> I tried toggling various "Peer DNS" settings, but they didn't help.

I found a bug report for this here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/37239

In summary, it seems like NM should leave "/etc/resolv.conf" alone when
"use peer DNS" is not selected, but instead the file gets blanked out
during the VPN connection. I'm not sure if this a bug in NM or the PPTP
plugin.

The workaround is to have the VPN server send DNS servers and "use peer
DNS", so the file gets populated.

   Mark