SSID hex_ssid vs string

I am curious what the reason is for sending the SSID as a hex value.

in the test coded i.e. nm-supplicant-test uses the ascii string - essid
i.e.
SUP: sending command 'SET_NETWORK 0 ssid "TEST"'

but the main networkmanager code uses hex_essid
SUP: sending command 'SET_NETWORK 0 ssid "54455354"'

At work using LEAP, I am seeing issues connecting when the ssid is sent in hex value.
However nm-supplicant-test connects almost everytime, without an issue.