Re: Feature request: vpn auto-connect

On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 12:17:47AM -0400, Golam Mortuza Hossain wrote:
> After two weeks of frustrating attempts to run nm, finally I could get
> nm (0.6.2-linux2go) working in my z60t thinkpad (running kubuntu
> 6.06.1) with wpa_supplicant (0.5.5) and latest madwifi-ng.  I am
> really amazed with nm operations! Its really cool!!

I'm really amazed at how many people use those packages. :-)

> In my institute, I need to connect through VPN.  With nm's vpnc plugin,
> this is also hassle-free.  However, a problem arises when
> wireless connection drops out. Although, nm reconnects to the wireless
> network almost immediately but it doesn't run vpnc. So effectively machine
> remains disconnected. Right now, I have to manually connect to VPN
> every time it happens. So I would like to make a feature request for nm.

I have the same problem and have been thinking about how to fix it. I'm
thinking about adding a "location" of sorts. When you connect to a new
wireless LAN (identified by router's MAC address) the context menu for
the applet could show a "Configure location" option. In there, you could
tell nm to change connect using a certain vpn connection and also change
your proxy settings accordingly.

Is anything like this in the pipeline?

--
| Soren Hansen    | Linux2Go                  | http://Linux2Go.dk/ |
| Seniorkonsulent | Lindholmsvej 42, 2. TH    | +45 46 90 26 42     |