Re: Fwd: Problem changing authentication type for wireless connection

On 9/28/06, Pat Suwalski <pat suwalski net> wrote:
Derek Broughton wrote:
> You have a different definition of "apparent" than I do :-(

It literally shows everything it does, is what "apparent" means to me.

Dumping everything it does, doesn't make a program's actions
_apparent_.  It leads to confusion without enlightenment.

wpa_supplicant handles unencrypted networks too. If NetworkManager
didn't use it, it would have to use some other interface to connect to
open networks. This way, everything is handled the same way, leaving
less chance for error.

Except that I actually _get_ data on that network until wpa_supplicant
gets into the act, so it manages to bring up an interface without
wpa_supplicant in the first place.

Sounds like scanning is broken on your driver. I know the feeling.

Except that it was never a problem with early versions of network
manager - it _could be the driver, as it's just using the in-kernel
ipw2200, and I update kernels regularly, but I doubt it.  I used NM
successfully for about a year.  I actually think it has developed a
hardware problem, but I can get the interface to work (sometimes)
using manual ifup/ifdown commands and not with NM.
--
derek