Fwd: Problem changing authentication type for wireless connection

Sorry - gmail doesn't understand listservs and I keep replying to
posters rather than the list...

On 9/28/06, Pat Suwalski <pat suwalski net> wrote:
Rohit Kumbhar wrote:
> I 'm sorry I didn't put that question correctly. How does NM determine
> the authentication type for a *new* connection? The folder for <essid>
> hasn't been created under my
> .gconf/system/networking/wireless/networks/  yet.

The connection type comes from the feedback NetworkManager receives from
wpa_supplicant. If you look at all the output in your log, I think it
will become apparent how that works.

You have a different definition of "apparent" than I do :-(
wpa_supplicant puts out way more information than I can use, and none
of it seems remotely helpful.  When I connect to an unsecured wireless
network, first it tells me it's associated with the AP, then it tells
me that it knows it's unsecured (so why is wpa_supplicant even being
called...?),  then it appears to do an AP scan - losing my AP along
the way and eventually timing out.  Nothing from wpa_supplicant is
useful to the average network user, and I have my doubts that much of
it is very often useful to wpa_supplicant's developers.  I've
basically had to stop using Network-manager for wireless.
--
derek

--
derek