Re: Problem changing authentication type for wireless connection

Rohit Kumbhar wrote:
I 'm sorry I didn't put that question correctly. How does NM determine
the authentication type for a *new* connection? The folder for <essid>
hasn't been created under my
.gconf/system/networking/wireless/networks/  yet.

The connection type comes from the feedback NetworkManager receives from wpa_supplicant. If you look at all the output in your log, I think it will become apparent how that works.

The network is shown in the list of connectable [if thats a correct
word] networks but was never connected successfully to. So as I
understand, the <essid> folder will not be created under .gconf.

That's right, the values are set once you successfully connect. Otherwise, the settings would be cluttered with networks you never even connected to.

--Pat