WiFi scanning interval

I'm using NetworkManager on my laptop (via knetworkmanager) to easily
switch between ethernet and WiFi networks. It works great, but there is
one thing that is a little inconvenient: after moving the laptop, it can
take up to 2 minutes before new WiFi networks are shown in the list of
available networks. By inspecting the source code, I found out that the
scanning interval is 15, 20 or 120 seconds, depending on the "state" of
the wireless device.

Is there some trick to force the device into the "active" state to
reduce the interval? I know that removing the kernel module works, but I
would prefer a less drastic approach. If not, what are the consequences
of decreasing the 120 second interval?

--
Dick