Re: netowork manager doesn't know it has connected

On Sun, 2006-09-17 at 22:41 +0200, Anze Slosar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using ubuntu dapper. On a fresh install I used network manager
> for a while, but since it didn't have a static IP, I went back to a
> home-cooked solution using whereami, ifplugd, etc. Now I wanted to go
> back to the network manager, and now it doesn't work any more... I
> just use a normal package, nothing fancy, no wpa, nothing just eth0
> and ath0. Asked for help on ubuntu forums and no luck. Specifically,
> my problem is as follows:
>
> Below is what happens when I plug in the cable (i.e. not a wireless
> problem and not a hardware problem, the same thing happens with
> ath0).
>
> At the point where I added "**** WORKING" to the log, the eth0 network
> is up and running, I can connect to various sites, etc. Looks like
> system configured succesfully via DHCP. However, network manager still
> thinks it is down, the dots keep rotating in the applet, and after a
> while it times out and then it sets eth0 to some stupid default IP at
> which point I (of course) loose connectivity.
> Any ideas for debugging? I am really desperate...

Does your system actually use DHCP or static IP?  If DHCP, something is
not getting to NetworkManager.  Be sure you have the correct 'dbus-send'
magic at the top of the dhclient script (possibly
in /sbin/dhclient-script).  The fact that NM is attempting to do autoip
here means that DHCP is clearly not succeeding, and that NM is told that
the interface requires static IP configuration.

Dan