Re: One more clue

"Darren Albers" <dalbers gmail com> writes:

> On 9/6/06, David Abrahams <dave boost-consulting com> wrote:
>>
>> NM is commonly not connecting -- or taking forever to connect -- to my
>> network, especially after the connection is dropped (e.g. if I go out
>> of range).  However, if I'm lucky enough to have an unprotected
>> network nearby, all I have to do is try to connect to that unprotected
>> network and wait for the first "green dot" in nm-applet (I don't even
>> need a full connection), then switch back to my preferred network, and
>> everything connects reasonably quickly.
>>
>> It seems as though the answer must be discernable from all the data
>> I've provided.  Am I providing too much data about my problem?
>
> I don't think you are providing too much data it is just a strange
> because this is a very common configuration and this is the first time
> this specific issue has come up.

I have heard from at least two other people that they're following
this thread with interest because they're having the same experience
as I am.  Who knows how many have seen it but haven't bothered to pipe
up, or had the problem and just gave up on NM?

> This happens on every encrypted access point you try to connect to?

I haven't really had too many options to try.  I have three
router/access point boxes in the house but I can't get one (a LinkSys)
to reset to its factory state and I don't seem to have the password
anymore.  And it's old enough to only support WEP.  The other two are
both the same Belkin model, and one was set up as a pure access point
on the same channel and SSID as the router, but is currently
disconnected (no change w.r.t. reliability of NM).

I do have a mac mini and an iMac G5 on the network that have wireless
cards and can share the network through their wireless connection, but
I don't remember whether they offer encryption or not.  If they do,
it's only WEP.  I also have a DELL i9300 with wireless that can do the
same, maybe even with WPA, but IIRC it's painful to set up wireless
sharing from windoze.  I'm willing to try any experiments you ask me
for, though.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting