init.d script

Previous list messages refer to a startup script in
/etc/init.d/NetworkManager but the Ubuntu Dapper package does not seem
to include this file. Am I missing anything without this file? The
lack of documentation requires me to ask.

I can only guess that a startup script would allow network manager to
startup as a daemon so that connections could be established before
the user logs in. If so, this would be a very desirable feature for me
since I share my laptop with my wife and getting that pesky connection
established is currently such a pain.