Problems on resume / driver reload / auto reconnect

Hello,

I migrated to ubuntu some days ago and am seeing some problems, I didn't have
with gentoo before. Now I try to find the bugs and sort them out.

Ubuntu 6.06.1
kernel 2.6.15-26-386
ipw2200 1.1.1
ieee80211 git-1.1.7 (as packaged by ubuntu)
network-manager 0.6.2-ubuntu7

started with bugreport "Doesn't bring the network back online when resuming from
suspend / hibernate"[1], but all the hints seem only workarounds, so I'm looking
deeper into the problem.
On gentoo I was able to
	rmmod ipw2200; modprobe ipw2200
and NM noticed the reload and reconnected to my network on its own. Now after
rmmod it says "no network devices found" (right!), but after modprobe it still
doesn't change: NM sees the device and has scan results, but doesn't connect on
its own. Funnier is, I can remove ipw2200 and it still has the scan results, it
even tries to connect when asked to, but as there is no device .... :)

Question:
 what part is responsible for handling device change events in NM? and why could
it fail in ubuntu?

Nikolaus

[1] https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/40125