Re: Does NM support dscape stack?

On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 15:16 +0800, Mi, Jun wrote:
> Hi,
>

> When I am using NM, I can not let the NM to enable my wireless network
> to work. The ieee80211 stack is dscape stack, I am using the tree of
> wireless-dev with dscape stack. The behavior is the interface is down
> and up after I choose the ssid, and then there is no link to that
> opened AP. If I use wireless-tools to enable, it can associate after
> setting essid, ap’s MAC and channel.

NetworkManager uses combination of Linux Wireless Extensions and the
wpa_supplicant program.  The problem with the dscape stack is that it
does not yet have support for Linux Wireless Extensions, which is the
standard way to configure wireless cards and drivers on Linux.  The
dscape stack is also not upstream in the Linux kernel yet and is still
considered experimental.

Once the dscape stack gets WEXT compatibility (or, gets converted to
cfg80211/nl80211 which is the successort to WEXT and has WEXT
compatibility), then NM should work with the d80211 stack.  dscape just
isn't quite there yet to be able to be widely used.

Dan