Re: NM not seeing mi wireless until I restart service

On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 22:47 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 19:07 -0500, Louis E Garcia II wrote:

> > > That's probably too late.  rc.local is the last step in boot, after all
> > > regular services (including NM) are started.
> > >
> > > You might try starting from /etc/sysconfig/modules/.  That happens very
> > > early in the boot process.  You just need a script called
> > > <something>.moduless that starts the daemon dropped in that directory and
> > > executable by root.
> > >
> > > I don't have one though, so I don't know if there is an "approved" or
> > > built-in startup for that daemon.
> >
> > Yes I have a file in /etc/modprobe.d/ that executes the daemon when the
> > module loads. It works fine when installing the module at the command
> > line. This does not work at boot because userland is not yet setup.
> > Therefor running ipw3945d again in rc.local is necessary. Maybe I should
> > create a full init script and run it before NM.
>
> Does the device show up in HAL as an 802.11 device?  If it's not there
> when NetworkManager starts, NM won't find it on startup.  And if HAL
> doesn't send out the device added signal when the ipw3945 actually gets
> around to registering, NM won't be able to hotplug it either.  It smells
> like a udev/HAL hotplug/coldplug issue to me...
>
> Dan
>
> > What I don't get is that I had this working in fc6t3 this exact way.
> >
> > -Louis

Were there changes with udev/HAL right before fc6 final? Anyway I solved
this problem another way. I created an init script for the ipw3945
daemon and started it before NM. Seems to be working fine now. I'm
positive the way I had it worked before.

-Louis