Re: NM not seeing mi wireless until I restart service

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006, Louis E Garcia II wrote:

On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 16:29 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 12:49 -0500, Louis E Garcia II wrote:
Not sure what changed between fc6test3 and fc6 but NetworkManager is not
seeing my ipw3945 when booting. When I login I have to restart the
NetworkManager service for wireless to work.

Can you post some logs from /var/log/messages?  Better yet, get root,
then do:

service NetworkManager stop
/usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon

let it run for 30 seconds, then mail the output here.  Hit Ctrl-C to
stop it.

Dan

I noticed when running fc6test3 NM scanned for network devices more than
once. With fc6 NM scans only once. Is this correct?

-Louis

What below shows is NM working fine when the service is started
manually. The problem is at boot, see boot.log attachment. NM does not
see eth1 which is the wlan card. I start ipw3945d, the regulatory
daemon, from rc.local.

That's probably too late. rc.local is the last step in boot, after all regular services (including NM) are started.

You might try starting from /etc/sysconfig/modules/. That happens very early in the boot process. You just need a script called <something>.moduless that starts the daemon dropped in that directory and executable by root.

I don't have one though, so I don't know if there is an "approved" or built-in startup for that daemon.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu