openvpn; even basic setup not going so great

I'm glad that I have started some useful discussion on the issue of
openvpn config with network manager, I hope it leads somewhere!

I am having some problems with a very *very* basic openvpn setup.

The server has this:

dev tun
ifconfig 10.8.0.2 10.8.0.1
secret static.key

I have a working openvpn config file on the client which looks like this:

remote ip.address.removed
dev tun
ifconfig 10.8.0.1 10.8.0.2
secret static.key
route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0

I've tried setting this up in NetworkManager with no luck, but I note
that there doesn't seem to be an option for setting the route. (And yes,
I did set the lzo compression option in the NetworkManager gui.)

That said, it doesn't quite make sense with the error messages because
its not as if the server is trying to push a route; the worst that
should happen is that the routing doesn't come up correctly when
NetworkManager brings the VPN up.

/var/log/NetworkManager has this to say:

Oct  3 10:01:21 thinkux NetworkManager: <WARNING>
nm_vpn_service_process_signal (): VPN failed for service
'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.openvpn', signal 'IPConfigBad', with
message 'The VPN login failed because the VPN program received an
invalid configuration from the VPN server.'.

Meanwhile I see this in /var/log/messages:

Oct  3 10:09:24 thinkux nm-openvpn[4617]:
/usr/bin/nm-openvpn-service-openvpn-helper tun0 1500 1545 10.8.0.2
10.8.0.1 init
Oct  3 10:09:24 thinkux nm-openvpn[4617]: script failed: shell command
exited with error status: 1

Any ideas? I find it hard to believe that such a basic openvpn config
could be causing problems for NetworkManager, I'm not using anywhere
near the bazillion options that openvpn supports ;)

Thanks!