Re: NetworkManager + Madwifi in Debian - Can't Get IP

Hi Again,

On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 23:11 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 22:10 -0500, Carlos Moffat wrote:

Debian/Sid), I've

> > > Probably an interaction with wpa_supplicant and madwifi; can you
connect
> > > with plain wpa_supplicant?
> > >
> > > Dan
> > >

> > Mmhh. Can one connect to a dhcp (no WPA, no WEP) using
wpasupplicant?
> > How does that work?
>
> Sure; wpa_supplicant just sets up the connection.  So first stop
> NetworkManager, then:
>
> Put the following in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf:
>
> ctrl_interface_group=0
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> eapol_version=1
> ap_scan=1
> fast_reauth=1
> network={
>        ssid="my network"
>        key_mgmt=NONE
>        auth_alg=OPEN
> }
>
> then execute with (as root):
>
> wpa_supplicant -ddd -iwifi0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -Dwext
>
> and then, when it says "CONNECTED",
>
> dhclient -1 wifi0

Sorry for the late reply (Thanksgiving got in the way). So it seems
wpa_supplicant is giving me trouble. The first command doesn't ever get
to 'connected'. I've attached the output I get.

Funny thing is, straight dhclient ath0 works, but if I do
wpa_supplicant, then cancel, and try dhclient ath0, it does not work. In
that case, I need to modprobe-out ath_pci, insert the module again, and
the dhclient ath0 works.

Also, is -iwifi0 the correct interface, or is it -iath0? I have both...

I appreciate any help.

Carlos

> And see what happens.
>
> > Thanks,
> > Carlos

AR5212

 wpa_supplicant -ddd -iwifi0 -cwpa_supplicant.conf -Dwext
Initializing interface 'wifi0' conf 'wpa_supplicant.conf' driver 'wext' ctrl_interface 'N/A' bridge 'N/A'
Configuration file 'wpa_supplicant.conf' -> '/home/cmoffat/wpa_supplicant.conf'
Reading configuration file '/home/cmoffat/wpa_supplicant.conf'
ctrl_interface_group='0' (DEPRECATED)
ctrl_interface='/var/run/wpa_supplicant'
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1
Line: 7 - start of a new network block
ssid - hexdump_ascii(len=9):
     50 61 74 61 67 6f 6e 69 61                        Patagonia
key_mgmt: 0x4
auth_alg: 0x1
Priority group 0
   id=0 ssid='Patagonia'
Initializing interface (2) 'wifi0'
EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state DISCONNECTED
EAPOL: KEY_RX entering state NO_KEY_RECEIVE
EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state INITIALIZE
EAP: EAP entering state DISABLED
EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
ioctl[SIOCSIWPMKSA]: Invalid argument
ioctl[SIOCSIWMODE]: Invalid argument
Could not configure driver to use managed mode
ioctl[SIOCGIWRANGE]: Invalid argument
WEXT: Operstate: linkmode=1, operstate=5
Own MAC address: 00:05:4e:50:7d:bd
wpa_driver_wext_set_wpa
ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Invalid argument
WEXT auth param 7 value 0x1 - Driver does not support WPA.
wpa_driver_wext_set_key: alg=0 key_idx=0 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Invalid argument
Driver did not support SIOCSIWENCODEEXT
wpa_driver_wext_set_key: alg=0 key_idx=1 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Invalid argument
Driver did not support SIOCSIWENCODEEXT
wpa_driver_wext_set_key: alg=0 key_idx=2 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Invalid argument
Driver did not support SIOCSIWENCODEEXT
wpa_driver_wext_set_key: alg=0 key_idx=3 set_tx=0 seq_len=0 key_len=0
ioctl[SIOCSIWENCODEEXT]: Invalid argument
Driver did not support SIOCSIWENCODEEXT
wpa_driver_wext_set_countermeasures
ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Invalid argument
WEXT auth param 4 value 0x0 - wpa_driver_wext_set_drop_unencrypted
ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Invalid argument
WEXT auth param 5 value 0x1 - Setting scan request: 0 sec 100000 usec
ctrl_interface_group=0
Added interface wifi0
State: DISCONNECTED -> SCANNING
Starting AP scan (broadcast SSID)
Trying to get current scan results first without requesting a new scan to speed up initial association
ioctl[SIOCGIWSCAN]: Invalid argument
Scan results: -1
Failed to get scan results
Failed to get scan results - try scanning again
Setting scan request: 0 sec 0 usec
RTM_NEWLINK: operstate=0 ifi_flags=0x11003 ([UP][LOWER_UP])
RTM_NEWLINK, IFLA_IFNAME: Interface 'wifi0' added
Starting AP scan (broadcast SSID)
ioctl[SIOCSIWSCAN]: Invalid argument
Failed to initiate AP scan.
Setting scan request: 10 sec 0 usec
Scan timeout - try to get results
ioctl[SIOCGIWSCAN]: Invalid argument
Scan results: -1
Failed to get scan results
Failed to get scan results - try scanning again
Setting scan request: 1 sec 0 usec