NetworkManager + Madwifi in Debian - Can't Get IP

Hi,

I've been trying to track down this issue for a while. Although the NM +
Madwifi drivers worked for a while for me (I'm using Debian/Sid), I've
been stuck using the r1500 version of the madwifi drivers, as any newer
version does not work. If I use a newer version, NM does not get an IP
address from the router (no WEP, no WPA).

The issue is discussed here:

If I shut down NM, I can get an IP address from the router using
dhclient. But NM works fine with the older driver, so I'm not sure who's
to blame here.

Any ideas, or any users of Debian/Sid using the madwifi drivers and NM
successfully?

Thanks,
Carlos

Other Info:

* kernel 2.6.17 (tried .16 and .18, no luck)
* 02:02.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212
802.11abg NIC (rev 01)
* NM 0.6.4
* wpasupplicant 0.5.5
* Thinkpad T42p.