rescanning for networks with nm-applet?

Hi,

I'm running networkmanager on my dell d820, under ubuntu edgy (nm
packages are versioned as 0.6.3-2ubuntu6).  It generally works pretty
well, but it sometimes seems to take quite a while to rescan the
environment for current networks.  So for instance, if I hibernate,
change locations, and resume, I can't check the local networks for about
5-10 minutes (anyway that's how long it seems to me, this may be
amplified by imnpatience).

Is there any way to speed this process up, and/or is there a convenient
and reliable way under debian/ubuntu to restart NetworkManager in order
to prompt a rescan?

Thanks,
matt
--