Re: nm doesn't notice usb enet connect

Dan Williams wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 21:44 -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
>> My wired enet has a bad connection, so I bought a usb2 enet adapter.  It
>> works fine, but I think it points out a problem with nm.  It seems nm
>> doesn't notice the new adapter on eth2 if I plug it in after startup,
>> unless I restart nm.
>
> Does your adapter use the ne2k driver or something?  Does the driver do
> link detection?  NM certainly isn't going to use your adapter unless the
> driver can do carrier detect.  Try 'mii-tool eth0' when a cable is
> plugged in, or or 'ethtool eth0' and look for the "Link detected: "
> line.  If your cable is in, but neither of those report a link, then the
> driver likely needs fixing.
>
> For example, NM won't work automatically in QEMU because the ne2k_pci
> driver that suports the NE2000 hardware that qemu emulates doesn't
> support carrier detect.

sudo /sbin/ethtool eth2
Settings for eth2:
        Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 100Mb/s
        Duplex: Full