Re: nm doesn't notice usb enet connect

On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 21:44 -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
> My wired enet has a bad connection, so I bought a usb2 enet adapter.  It
> works fine, but I think it points out a problem with nm.  It seems nm
> doesn't notice the new adapter on eth2 if I plug it in after startup,
> unless I restart nm.

Does your adapter use the ne2k driver or something?  Does the driver do
link detection?  NM certainly isn't going to use your adapter unless the
driver can do carrier detect.  Try 'mii-tool eth0' when a cable is
plugged in, or or 'ethtool eth0' and look for the "Link detected: "
line.  If your cable is in, but neither of those report a link, then the
driver likely needs fixing.

For example, NM won't work automatically in QEMU because the ne2k_pci
driver that suports the NE2000 hardware that qemu emulates doesn't
support carrier detect.