Unsupported Authenication Modes

I have NM working nicely for our home networks, thanks to all involved. Now, I am trying to set up a laptop running ubuntu for easy use by my daughter who is at Edinburgh (UK) University. (She is reading Comparative Religion and not Computer Science!) Unfortunately I am not anywhere near Edinburgh so I want to get as close to the solution as possible, by diligent research, before I get to see the network. Anyway I hate trial&error methods - they take far too much time! She will require, therefore, four different networks: home wireless, uni wired (not allowed to use wireless in halls), uni wireless, & wireless hotspots. EUCS website suggests that a wpa-supplicant file for their network should look something like this:

QUOTE

ap_scan=2
network={
   ssid="central-wpa"
   auth_alg=OPEN
   key_mgmt=WPA_EAP
   proto=WPA
   pairwise=TKIP
   group=TKIP
   eap=PEAP
   identity="username"
   password="password"
   phase1="peapver=0"
   phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
   eapol_flags=3
UNQUOTE

Apart from the typo (I think it should be WPA-EAP not WPA_EAP), this looks as if it requires two-phase authentication which, from reading all the stuff I can find here and in ubuntu etc, looks as if it may not be supported by NM.

1. Am I correct in concluding that this mode of wpa-supplicant is not supported by NM? 2. Am I correct in concluding that manual configuration of wpa-supplicant.conf is ignored by NM? 3. If so, is it possible to use NM in conjunction with an ifup/down script fired from a suitable applet? 4. Would it be a good idea/possible to have an option in NM to use a custom script for this type of situation?

Very grateful for any comments and/or ideas ...

Charles Whittington