Re: Backends and OO principles

On ma, 2006-05-29 at 21:16 +1200, Simon Geard wrote:
> I'm not an NM dev, but it seems reasonable to me. I've done a bit of
> work getting NM to work on my LFS box, and most of my patches consist of
> duplicating the contents of the Redhat backend and changing a few things
> to suit the different /etc layout. It'd be a lot easier to maintain if I
> could simply override a few functions in the Redhat one.
I started working on it yesterday, got several gobject based files
(interface, generic backend and gentoo backend) written, although not
completely (only 3 of the backend functions as of now, but adding more
is easy), and started modifying the NM core to use this new system.
I submitted a branch request to the NM maintainers, awaiting approval.

> Of course, another school of thought says it's ridiculous having half a
> dozen different backends in the first place and that things would be a
> lot easier if distros could be a bit more consistent. But that's just
> crazy talk... :)
Everyone's allowed to dream once in a while ;-). Whilst the idea is
good, I dont think it'll happen soon: every distro thinks their system
is best suited for their userbase I guess?

> Simon.
Ikke
http://www.eikke.com