Re: Dhcdbd modify my resolv.conf

On Sat, 2006-05-20 at 08:18 +0200, Reviczky ��J�s wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I have here a Debian (unstable) system connected to a wired
> LAN with NetworkManager+dhcdbd. The problem is, that dhcdbd
> renew my resolv.conf approximately once per hour (which
> brokes my internet connection, because of using openvpn
> through that eth0 device).

Do you have the doc file for it in the Debian packages?  On Fedora it's
in:

/usr/share/doc/dhcdbd-1.14/README

The relevant section:

    uint32  mode:  by default 0, this is a bit set of 5 bits that control what actions
        will be performed by the dhclient-script:

        0: default: the script runs as normal, just sending all the DHCP options to dhcdbd
        1: turns off modification of resolv.conf
        2: turns off all ifconfig actions
        4: turns off all route modification actions
        8: turns off configuration of yp server
        16: turns off configuration of ntp server
        31: turns off ALL actions and dhclient-script just writes options to dhcdbd.

> In the manual i read about "uint32 modes" but i don't know
> how to use this (the files which comes with the debian
> package don't have any "up" section).
> Sounds good from the manual: "Brings up interface eth0,
> telling dhclient-script not to modify resolv.conf, perform
> ifconfigs, or modify routes, but TO configure ntp.conf,
> ntp/step-ticker sand yp.conf.".
> If i start NetworkManager and than run "/usr/bin/dbus-send
> --dest=com.redhat.dhcp --type=method_call --print-reply
> --reply-timeout=20000 /com/redhat/dhcp/eth0
> com.redhat.dhcp.up uint32:7 uint32:2", than i get something
> like this:

So you're sending 7 for a mode.  That means that you're telling it to do
only 1, 2, and 4 from above.  That appears to be correct; however, can
you try to pass 31 and see if that works?  NetworkManager passes 31 and
I haven't had issues with dhcdbd overwriting resolv.conf while a VPN is
active.