Re: D-BUS/Qt3 bindings for knetworkmanager

Hi Chris,

On Sun, 2006-05-14 at 12:41 +0100, Chris Jones wrote:

> whilst trying to build knetworkmanager from KDE svn, on FC5, I get
>
> configure: WARNING: You need D-BUS/Qt3 bindings
>
> during ./configure
>
> I asked on the FC mailing lists about the availability of D-BUS/Qt3 bindings,
> and got this response
>
> "Do we have FC5 rpms for these D-BUS/Qt3 bindings ? Could find anything via
> yum search
>
> In short, No.
>
> Long story (as I understand it): the dbus-qt3 bindings were recently
> removed from upsgream dbus due to lack of maintainership.

No.  They were not removed.  The Qt4 bindings were moved in, but the Qt3
bindings were not removed.

Additionally, the new Qt4 bindings have been backported to Qt3.  They
are not part of D-BUS -- they are living somewhere in the KDE SVN as far
as I know.

> So, the version of dbus on fc5 is new enough to not even include those
> bindings.

There is a --disable-qt3 switch which helps if one does not want to
build and package the Qt3 bindings.

> The good news is that there is a new dbus-qt maintainer (for both qt3
> and qt4), but the new qt3 bindings aren't binary compatible with the old
> ones, and aren't distributed with dbus.  So the question is, does
> kentworkmanager need/use the old no-longer-available dbus/qt3 bindings,
> or is it asking for the new (not-yet-available) dbus/qt3  bindings?
> "

> So, what bindings does knetworkmanager  need ?

The Qt3 bindings shipping with D-BUS.

I am cc'ing Danny.  He might have some pointers wrt availability of the
Qt3 bindings on FC5.

> cheers Chris

   Timo