Re: A comment on NetworkManager

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
On Fri, 12 May 2006, Gene Heskett wrote:
[snip]

$ rpm -q --file /usr/bin/nm-applet
NetworkManager-gnome-0.6.0-3

Ok, I have this:
[root diablo ~]# rpm -q --file /usr/bin/nm-applet
NetworkManager-gnome-0.6.2-2.fc5

Now, pray tell, how is it we use this?

ermm. Just run it.

If you really have never run this before, it probably explains you poor experience with NM :)

AFAIK its never been run here. And ATM wlan0 has started working, so I believe I'll let this puppy continue an un-interrupted nap until such time as I get home again & find I need to putz with it.

I agree though, documentation telling you to run this would have helped.

Is there a manpage (thats a stupid question obviously, but to stay in character I had to ask), or was that like the decal I saw on the tailgate of a late model dodge pickup dressed up with a daytona style wing on the back of the box, the decal saying "Attitude sold separately"? The driver obviously had one, it was already showing signs of participation in contact sports.

In FC5, nm-applet is configured to run by defaut in the GNOME desktop. It doesn't show up in the taksbar unless you "service NetworkManager start", but you shouldn't need to do anything else if you did a scratch install of FC5 and created your userid from scratch. If you kept your old desktop configs, then you do have to run it once. On subsequent logins, it should restart by itself, at least in GNOME. (I tend to recreate my userid when I install new OS versions just so I can see what new destop features have been enabled.).

Humm, I immediately on the install, the the DISPLAY to KDE, but that still looked and acted like gnome, so a couple of days later I found I could download switchdesk and did so, and ran it to switch to KDE, at which point an X restart actually did get me the whole KDE environment. And I've never switched back. Just the bit about hiding the terminal 3 layers down in the gnome menu's was enough to make me run for higher ground.

So I expect that the nm_applet has been run once, maybe... The default networking at install time was being done by /etc/init.d/network, so at that point NM had never been run. And as I switched to the full kde shortly thereafter, I really do have serious doubts it has ever been run.

Does it create a file someplace on first run that I could check for its existence?
And, yes it would be helpful to have something in the docs that explains how to get started if it isn't all set up for you. The README has sections "Theory of Operation" and "Structure", but no novice would glean any useful information from it.

The only thing I got from that was confused. Ditto Rosanna's tome after page 3, not running gnome, from there on it makes little sense if you are not a gnome fan.

--
Cheers, Gene