Re: Ad-Hoc networks again

Dan Williams wrote:
On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 15:55 -0400, Robert Love wrote:
On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 14:44 -0400, Darren Albers wrote:

I know this has come up in the past but I can't remember if anything
was ever decided on it, but I have been traveling a lot lately and
while in airports I have mistakenly tried to connect to misconfigured
laptops running in ad-hoc mode that has carried over the SSID from
somewhere else (This happens to windows users who have their system
configured to connect to any available AP).  Was anything ever decided
on if Ad-hoc networks were going to be marked or hidden in the UI?

Yup; we need to do this.  _And_ we need to make NM connect to
Managed/Infrastructure networks of a particular SSID before connecting
to an AdHoc network of the same SSID.  Right now both have equal weight
and that's wrong.

It is not a big deal, just a minor annoyance since I can use iwlist or
kismet to see which ones are real access points.

Other than this Network-Manager has been rock solid for me!
I (and I suspect Mr Williams, as well) would be totally happy to get a
patch that somehow distinguished Ad-Hoc networks in the UI.

It just needs to be stetic.  We probably need new icons.

stetic == good :)

It can be handled in the same way we do secure networks now, with a
different icon.

	Robert Love

I'll chime in here to say that at the last reboot, and I wasn't paying any attention at the time but wlan0 came up and found the radios here, so I've unplugged the motels little box.

NDI what diff it took to enable that little miracle.  NM is still off FWIW.