Re: How NM chooses between wired and wireless connections ?

On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 13:38 +0100, Chris Jones wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm running, NM 0.6.2 on an FC5 laptop, with wireless (ipw2100) and wired
> (b44) connections.
>
> NM runs more or less perfectly fine, but I have noticed a few oddities.
>
> 1. Commonly I turn the machine on in an environment where I have both a
> wireless and wired connection available. In this case, NM first connects to
> the wireless connection, then 5-10 secs later seems to noticed there is a
> wired connection, and switches over to that. Why does NM do this, and not (as
> I would want) just used the wired connection from the start ?

Can you post the output of your lspci and possibly the output
of /usr/bin/nm-tool as well?  This sounds like the driver for your
network card isn't very good at detecting the link state.  I've got a
Latitude C610 with a 3c59x card, and that only checks the link state
every 60 seconds, which really, really sucks.  Drivers need to get
better in this regard.

> 2. I'm running the gnome applet in KDE. This works fine, but one thing I have
> noticed is NM does not store WEP passwords in this case - I have to enter it
> each time. I suspect it is because some gnome service is not starting, which
> NM uses to store the passwords (??). Is there anything I can do to make this
> work (conversely, is the KDE frontend likely to be available soon :) )

It's already out there if you compile from sources, but it hasn't been
imported into Fedora Extras yet.  To store the WEP keys, you likely need
to run the gnome-keyring at the start of your KDE session.  There is
some KDE facility to auto-launch stuff when you log in, add these two
programs to it:

/usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon
/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon