Re: A comment on NetworkManager

Darren Albers wrote:

It appears to me that there might be a small snowballs chance in hell of
its working if two conditions are met:

1. Must be running gnome or it appears all the tools aren't available
2. Must NOT be using ndiswrapper.

This assumes that the now 4 month old tome from redhat, written by
Rosanna Yuen has been printed, salted & peppered and comsumed in hopes
it might enlighten the potential user.  For this user, it does not.  And
its all gnome-centric, totally ignoreing kde users.  Does this mean that
kde users will be forever locked out of using this tool?

Ubuntu and SUSE are both shipping with KNetworkManager so NM for KDE is
available now.  I think it is hosted in the KDE.org SVN.

So when is it going to be made compatible with kde, AND ndiswrapper so
all of us using broadcom radios can share in the apparent glee here.  My
experience with NM has been uniformly negative, with every attempt to
run it destroying all networking and requireing a full powerdown reset
to restore it.

The problem is not N-M it is NDISWrapper supporting a full set of Wireless
Extensions, I think that the latest (Or maybe it is the version in CVS)
fully support the latest version of WEXT and work with N-M.

So if you have a new version of NDISWrapper and run KNetworkManager you
should be good to go.

Currently running: ndiswrapper-1.13-1.lvn5

But I've not seen a KNetworkManager yet. I do have kwiwfimanager, but it seems to be only a guified version of iwlist /device/ scan. It use to unghost the switch network button, but has never done that here in the motel. And, where iwlist wlan0 scan shows both AP nodes here, Kwifimanager only sees one. Both carry the same ESSID of course, but different MAC addresses. so its basicly a snooper program as yet.

If, as everyone seems to be claiming, its been working since FC3, then it seems to me it should be nigh onto bulletproof by FC5. Instead, its the bullet that kills everything it touches here.

--
Cheers, Gene