Re: A comment on NetworkManager

p.roediger wrote:
Aaron Konstam schrieb:
On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 02:48 +0200, Peter Roediger wrote:
Hi everyone,

I thought I should write a little -personal- comment on what I think
about the current implementation of NetworkManager and, more
importantly, its design goals. First of all, I'm very pleased to see
that there is some effort going on to make a linux desktop more
user-friendly in terms of network usage and managing more than one
network device in more than one (wireless) network. So far,
NetworkManager looks to me like a very good approach to it, though it
has some, in my view, major shortcomings which I'd like to address in
this mail.
1.) Wireless networks list.
There is no "Search for wireless networks" or "Refresh wireless
networks list" button/option in the applet. While this seems to be
convenient in the first place it turns out to be not in some cases.
Consider this: Many laptops nowadays feature an LED that shows the
status of the wireless connection ( e.g. flashing when it's not
connected, etc.). Thus people will naturally switch the wireless
network off when it's not needed. Then, they might disconnect their
wired LAN at one point and go to some place that is supplied by a
wireless network. Now, they turn on their wireless network card by a
hardware switch and...they have to wait. They have to wait until NM
will update the list. Which will take some time. The average user will
not understand this behavior. But the average user would understand an
option mentioned above. It's easy. Easier than a WEP key. Or something else: You walk around in a foreign city in order to find
a hotspot to logon to. There is a desperate need to update the list
immediately. It's simply crucial.
I must be pretty confused. I use my wireless at home and at work and
nm-applet shows me immediately the wireless access points that are
available.
Only if your network card is running right from the system boot. But as i pointed out, this does not have to be the case. It only works well, when you never turn off your wlan card and you never change places.
2.) The configuration issue.
In my view NetworkManager is one of the most intransparent linux
applications out there. There's no Documentation (correct me if I'm
wrong), there is no configuration file easily accessible and there are
weird things going on with resolv.conf. How is it configured? How can I
change the DNS server without violating "# generated by NetworkManager,
do not edit!"? Do I have to use a special program.

In answer to part of point two, it is the DHCP server that supplies the
addresses of the DNS servers not NM

Only if you have a DHCP service running on your network (which does not apply always, in fact, it does not apply in most cases), dns servers will be assigned. Otherwise you have to specify them in /etc/resolv.conf

I wonder why it is that negative comments I make about NetworkManager seem to always go into a black hole, never coming back from the list.

It appears to me that there might be a small snowballs chance in hell of its working if two conditions are met:

1. Must be running gnome or it appears all the tools aren't available
2. Must NOT be using ndiswrapper.

This assumes that the now 4 month old tome from redhat, written by Rosanna Yuen has been printed, salted & peppered and comsumed in hopes it might enlighten the potential user. For this user, it does not. And its all gnome-centric, totally ignoreing kde users. Does this mean that kde users will be forever locked out of using this tool?

So when is it going to be made compatible with kde, AND ndiswrapper so all of us using broadcom radios can share in the apparent glee here. My experience with NM has been uniformly negative, with every attempt to run it destroying all networking and requireing a full powerdown reset to restore it.

I do not consider that to be either impressive, or useful. Nor do I see mention of newer versions being available, but I don't see them in yumex, nor do I see any great importance given to the exact version in the messages to this list so that I might check to see if indeed I do have the latest installed.

--
Cheers, Gene