Re: Ad-Hoc networks again

That would mean that I need to actually use my 10 year old Comp Sci degree which has been sitting unused since the day I completed it!  lol  I might take a look at this and see if I can puzzle out a patch for this, it would be a good way to get some rust off with what is hopefully a relatively simple project.

On 5/11/06, Robert Love <rml novell com> wrote:
On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 14:44 -0400, Darren Albers wrote:

> I know this has come up in the past but I can't remember if anything
> was ever decided on it, but I have been traveling a lot lately and
> while in airports I have mistakenly tried to connect to misconfigured
> laptops running in ad-hoc mode that has carried over the SSID from
> somewhere else (This happens to windows users who have their system
> configured to connect to any available AP).  Was anything ever decided
> on if Ad-hoc networks were going to be marked or hidden in the UI?
>
> It is not a big deal, just a minor annoyance since I can use iwlist or
> kismet to see which ones are real access points.
>
> Other than this Network-Manager has been rock solid for me!

I (and I suspect Mr Williams, as well) would be totally happy to get a
patch that somehow distinguished Ad-Hoc networks in the UI.

It just needs to be stetic.  We probably need new icons.

It can be handled in the same way we do secure networks now, with a
different icon.

        Robert Love