Re: A comment on NetworkManager

On Thu, 11 May 2006, Russell Harrison wrote:

must remember to hit "reply to all"

:-)

While we're accreting wish lists, let me add mine:

  1) NM should to be able to manage keys and protocols (including WPA
and WPA-2, given that WEP is pretty much useless no matter how many bits
it has:-) without having to unlock the keyring.  I know the
key-unlocking problem will soon be solved "outside" of NM per se, but
hey, the WEP key for myssid is preserved in e.g.

 .gconf/system/networking/wireless/networks/myssid,

with the WEP key written (of course) in plaintext.  For most
non-paranoid people in most default account configurations this whole
tree is by default 644/755 top to bottom so anybody on the system can
read it.  Which makes me REALLY wonder why NM bothers using the keyring
-- the data isn't encrypted or otherwise effectively hidden in the first
place.

  2) NM needs to be able to have NM remember networks with no broadcast
SSID once they are entered so that one doesn't have to go through the
custom network interface every time.  The WEP key is already stored on
the system where anybody can read it, but when I select "connect to
other wireless networks" the first time after logging in I seem to have
to enter it before the connect button becomes active.  It would also be
nice to have a GUI list of other wireless networks ssids pop up at this
point to click on instead of requiring typewriter entry of the ssid, and
make the "create new wireless network" action a menu choice on this
interface.

  3) indeed, what NM needs is a full featured SSID table manager
interface (a "manage SSIDs" menu entry to replace both the connect and
create entries that are there now) that permits the user to fully manage
and customize the table of SSIDs.  In addition to WEP/WPA information
any given SSID needs to be markeable at LEAST as:
   - whitelist (always connect to strongest signal available in order of
a user-defined priority that overrides signal strength).
   - blacklist (always ignore, never connect, do not even SHOW ever
again except in the SSID table manager interface once they are marked
out in the working table). This can easily/consistently be done with a
single file in .gconf/.../wireless/network, e.g.:
 <blacklist>
   <essid>essid1</essid>
   <essid>essid2</essid>
 </blacklist>
   - greylist controls, e.g. show/don't show greylist connections as
available in the left-click applet popup (they'll always be in the table
manager interface), connect/don't connect to greylist connections
without a deliberate user action (like answering "ok" in a popup).

Basically, 98% or more of my wireless connections are to one of three
SSIDs, one of which is not broadcast.  70% of the time I'm connecting to
my home network, the one with the non-broadcast SSID.  I want to be able
to tell my system to ALWAYS ignore the six or seven broadcast SSIDs it
ALWAYS sees at boot time at home and to ALWAYS look for the network with
the hidden non-broadcast SSID and connect to it FIRST if it is there, to
NEVER ask for a password or make me manually manipulate keys after the
primary key entry to (re)connect, and yet to be able to transparently
re-connect to a greylist broadcast SSID open interface if I should close
my laptop and go to a wi-fi cafe somewhere for a cup of coffee, with or
without a message asking if it should connect as I choose to configure.

Automatic means not manual.  The applet/popup GUI on NM is nice and
permits one to perform many actions without having to type in low level
commands but NM itself is not terribly automatic even for things that
have to be done over and over again exactly the same way -- where it IS
automatic it nearly always does the wrong thing, at least for me, so I
end up having to manipulate it to get correctly connected nearly every
time I connect.  NM is clearly CAPABLE of doing what it needs to do for
all categories of interface -- all it lacks is a higher-level interface
where repetitive tasks can be categorized and response sequences
predefined so that they can be avoided in the future.

Basically, manipulation should only be necessary ONE TIME per network
one sees -- blacklist and then DONE (for those essids, never ever see
them again in a toplevel interface), greylist (configure?) and DONE,
whitelist (configure) and DONE -- where no essid or NM itself is ever
"touched" again in that connection context unless/until one wants to do
something unusual or a key changes.

   rgb