Re: A comment on NetworkManager

Hello,

Peter Roediger wrote:
> 2.) The configuration issue.
> In my view NetworkManager is one of the most intransparent linux
> applications out there. There's no Documentation (correct me if I'm
> wrong), there is no configuration file easily accessible and there are
> weird things going on with resolv.conf. How is it configured? How can I
> change the DNS server without violating "# generated by NetworkManager,
> do not edit!"? Do I have to use a special program to set this up? If so,
> then just write it down at some place. I've been using Linux for 5 years
> now and having problems to set up basic things with an application that
> is supposed to be a snap to use.
Having thrown a penny into an empty well a few days ago, I'd like to
echo this frustration.

NM is slick and cool and I also want to echo the praise.

I went cold turkey with Linux (fc2 - from MacOS 8.1!) mid-2004 and then
found I was the first person in my University (Auckland) to set up
wpa_supplicant on it's wireless network... - there's some amusing
reading on the wpa_supplicant mail list back then.  I got there, with a
little help from my friends.  When I went to fc4 I gave up trying to
configure it for the Uni network, though it was a delight on my home wep
network.  I consoled myself with my home network and looking forward to fc5.

Now I'm with fc5 I know NM is configurable with my Uni network - but, how?

Just a little info might go a long way (but, I make no promise:)

NM is way cool, please keep up the good work.

Best regards,
Morgan.
--
Morgan Read