Re: NM does not recognize when devices are added/removed during runtime

On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 10:12 +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> as I got reports that NM does not recognize when a (wireless PCMCIA)
> network card is pluggged in, I tried the following (I have a Realteak
> RTL-8139 (8139cp) and a Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 (ipw2100)).
> - rmmod both drivers.
> - started NM, no device is detected
> - modprobe 8139cp, lshal -m net reports that the device is added
> - modprobe ipw2100, lshal -m net reports that the device is added
> For both cases NM does not detect that a device was added.
> If I restart NM both devices are correctly detected and used.
>
> The same holds the other way. If I remove the devices (rmmod
> 8139cp/ipw2100), hal detects the removal but not NM.
>
> Isn't this a bug in NM?

First, run "lshal -m" and plug/unplug the devices to make sure HAL is
still sending out the hotplug signals.

If yes, then are the libhal integration functions in
src/NetworkManager.c:

nm_hal_device_removed()
nm_hal_device_added()

being called when the devices get hotplugged?

If not, maybe NM is getting kicked off the bus for some reason.  Try to
remove the:

	dbus_connection_set_exit_on_disconnect (connection, FALSE);

statement in the nm_dbus_init() function in src/NetworkManagerDbus.c.
NM will then exit when it gets kicked off the bus.