Re: Can't get WEP to work with FC5 NetworkManager

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 21:45 -0400, Rowan Kerr wrote:
> On 1-May-06, at 12:36 AM, A.G. wrote:
> > However, NetworkManager simply will not connect using the same key
> > entered into the nm-applet dialogs. I'm trying to connect using 'WEP
> > 40 / 128' and 'Open Network' (I've tried Shared Key too, to no avail).
>
> I'm using the orinoco_pci module with NetworkManager on a Thinkpad T30,
> and I had to switch my router to "Open Network" instead of "Shared Key"
> before it would connect.
>
> Would it be a difference between orinoco_cs and orinoco_pci?

Likely not.  Robert fixed a bug last week that caused shared key not to
work.  In any case, Shared Key is actually more _insecure_ than Open
System, since with SK the key exchange during association has weaknesses
that make it easier to crack your WEP key.  With Open System, there is
no such exchange.