Re: Debian Etch Install

On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 02:32 +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> James Wiggs wrote:
> >  Folks,
> >
> >    I've just upgraded my Toshiba 1750 laptop to Debian Etch from a
> > recent install of Sarge.  I have a D-Link AirPlus XtremeG DWl-G650
> > adapter which I have previously had working fine with the madwifi
> > driver which I installed under Sarge from the www.backports.org
> > repository.  While I eventually got a combination of wpasupplicant
> > and /etc/network/interfaces to the point where I could reliably
> > connect to my home network, I wanted the ability to roam, and more
> > importantly, I wanted a non-technical user to be able to do so.
> >
> >    I added unstable to my sources.list file, pinned etch at 600 and
> > sid at 550, and did an install of network-manager.  That install
> > seemed to go fine, but NetworkManager absolutely refuses to work on
> > this box.  I get the following error messages when I run it in a
> > terminal window:

   Should have mentioned I already had that installed.  Additional
work last night led to one problem being solved, another identified.
The nm-applet was being started automatically when I logged in, and
promptly filling up .xsession-errors with messages about not being
able to "own" the NetworkManagerInfo service.  This led me to the
security files under /etc/dbus-1/system.d, and I discovered that I
needed to be a member of the netdev group in order to be able to get
NetworkManager to work.  Fine, I added all the users on the laptop
to the netdev group.  Now nm-applet starts and shows up in my panel,
but when I attempt to attach to the wireless router in my house, I
get a popup window with a message about "security capabilities that
your card does not have".

   At this point, I went digging for additional information.  It
seems that the madwifi driver I'm using, CVS20060217, does not use
the "standard" API for communicating information about its
capabilities back to wpa_supplicant.  I think this may be the last
issue to be solved.  It appears that I must upgrade to at least
version 0.5.1 of wpa_supplicant, as well as the latest version of
the "new" madwifi driver "madwifi-ng" in order to get this all to
work.  I will report back with success/failure...

regards,
Jim