Debian Etch Install

 Folks,

   I've just upgraded my Toshiba 1750 laptop to Debian Etch from a
recent install of Sarge.  I have a D-Link AirPlus XtremeG DWl-G650
adapter which I have previously had working fine with the madwifi
driver which I installed under Sarge from the www.backports.org
repository.  While I eventually got a combination of wpasupplicant
and /etc/network/interfaces to the point where I could reliably
connect to my home network, I wanted the ability to roam, and more
importantly, I wanted a non-technical user to be able to do so.

   I added unstable to my sources.list file, pinned etch at 600 and
sid at 550, and did an install of network-manager.  That install
seemed to go fine, but NetworkManager absolutely refuses to work on
this box.  I get the following error messages when I run it in a
terminal window: