Re: What exactly are the aims of NM?

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:53:44 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote
> I wonder if the aims and hopes of the NM developers
> are documented anywhere?
>
> Is it hoped that it will work with all wireless devices
> for which there is a Linux driver (including ndiswrapper)?

I haven't seen much of the stuff behind the scenes on NM, but the adapters
that support WE (Wireless Extensions) have worked for me good enough.
Specially the IPW one's.

> Or will it only work for cards, etc, with certain properties -
> eg ability to go into Monitor mode -
> which are not actually necessary in order to run under Linux?

Why would you want rfmon for NM? I haven't seen something that uses that.

> I have an Orinoco classic Gold PCMCIA card
> (in fact several of them,
> including ones in USB and PCI adapters),
> and I have never been able to get NM to work with them.

Have you ever googled to see if anyone else has asked about this? Maybe there
is people that have it working and it is only you.

> Also is it intended that NM should work with KDE?

I don't know much of the Linux thinking, but this is a gnome mailing list.
Never the less. google for KNetworkManager. I read something about it.

> I installed FC-5 with KDE,
> started NetworkManager and NetworkManagerDispatcher,
> and as far as I could see nothing at all happened.
>
> I should say that I am quite happy to wait,
> if it is intended that NM will work with my setup sooner or later.

It is an incredible tool so far. And I would try not to send my phone numbers,
and contact information on emails.

.Alejandro