Re: Use of BCM4318 card with NetworkManager

On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 18:24 -0500, Code Epicure wrote:
I have a BCM4318 card.  You do need ndiswrapper, for which you will need the appropriate drivers.  I found mine at ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/notebook/aspire_3020_5020/driver/80211g.zip for 32-bit or ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/notebook/aspire_3020_5020/driver/winxp64bit/80211g.zip for 64-bit.  That said, I have not had any luck under FC5 with NetworkManager and this card.  It worked under FC4, but now (although the network shows up) I cannot connect to it.  There have been various queries to the list, but no answers.  When I use the wireless I usually use this script as root:

#!/bin/sh

/sbin/ifconfig wlan0 up
/sbin/iwconfig wlan0 essid <ESSID>
/sbin/dhclient wlan0

You have to fill in your <ESSID>.  Please don't ask me what it does - it works, and I have been content with that.

John

On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 10:28 -0400, networkmanager-list-request gnome org wrote:
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 08:56:21 -0500
From: Aaron Konstam <akonstam sbcglobal net>
Subject: Use of BCM4318 card with NetworkManager
To: networkmanager-list gnome org

I realize I posted this before but with the wrong subject:

Does anyone have some good advice on how to get a :
 BCM4318 [AirForceOne 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller card working under
NetworkManager? Is ndiswrapper needed and if so how should it be used?
If this is really OT please ignore me.
--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam sbcglobal net>
--

Hi,
    After many time trying I found this link on ubuntu forums. I had to start out wired to get the packages, but it works. Heres the showthread197102   read it through at the top if you don't need the ndiswapper skip click here at the top.

     Thanks Team for your great work that shows of always at the right time...

       Bubba.
Title: [howto] General 6.06 - HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards - Ubuntu Forums

User Name
Password
Forum Navigation
Register Calendar Guidelines Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Search:

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to participate in new and ongoing discussions. By joining the Ubuntu Forum Community you will have access to use the post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and much more. Registration is fast and simple.

Follow this link to register today: Join our community today!

Please read before posting a HOWTO/FAQ
You will notice a prefix next to each thread this prefix is used to tell you what the thread is related to for example KDE, GNOME or just a General FAQ/HOWTO. For users posting a new thread it will be approved by a moderator to ensure we only get related information in this area. Your post might not show up right away.

Information on posting your HOWTO/FAQ to the Ubuntu Wiki
We encourage users who post a howto or faq on the forums to also include this on the ubuntu wiki documentation site. Below is information on doing so.

View Poll Results: Did it work for you?
Yes 39 81.25%
No 7 14.58%
I have this card, but it's already working 2 4.17%
I have this card, but I don't care if it works 0 0%
I have a different card 0 0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

New Reply Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
5 Cups of Ubuntu

Beans: 36
Lightbulb [howto] General 6.06 - HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards AND HOWTO: Network Manager

About

If you want to JUST setup network-manager WITHOUT ndiswrapper (in other words, you already have working wireless internet), click here.

This HOWTO is for people who have a Broadcom 4318 Wifi card in their laptop. This card can sometimes be a bit difficult to setup, so I have provided a working method (for me, anyway). This should also fix problems that cause the card to stop working when you upgrade from Breezy to Dapper.

There is another thread for people who have other Broadcom wifi cards, which can be found here.

To check if you have a Broadcom 4318 Card, open up the terminal (click the Applications button, then Accessories, and then Terminal) and run (just copy and paste the code from the code boxes throughout the HOWTO [in the terminal, this is done by right click anywhere and clicking paste, ctrl+v doesn't work])
Code:
lspci | grep Broadcom\ Corporation
If your output looks similar to
Code:
0000:05:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
or you can see the string BCM4318 in the output, then this should work for you.

The point of this HOWTO is to make it as simple as possible (not to educate people - if you want to know how this works, open the script and read it) for people who have just installed Ubuntu for the first time, so I wrote a script and have provided a set of drivers that worked for me. It is important to note that not all drivers will work as expected, so please use the ones I have posted. If you have any problems, please feel free to post them, and help will be given.

This script requires no internet connection after it is downloaded.

Process

  1. Download one of the following to the desktop (the Firefox default, so if you haven't changed it, that's where it went/will go).
    • If you have no idea what you want, use this one here.
    • For ndiswrapper setup AND network-manager-gnome, click here. (this one is recommended and is the same as the first one)
    • For 64-bit ndiswrapper AND network-manager-gnome, click here.
    • For ONLY ndiswrapper setup, click here.
    • For ONLY 64-bit ndiswrapper setup, click here.
  2. Open a terminal (click the Applications button, then Accessories, and then Terminal)
  3. Change the current directory to the desktop (copy and paste the following commands exactly into your terminal by right clicking anywhere on the terminal and clicking paste)
    Code:
    cd ~/Desktop
  4. Extract the compressed file
    Code:
    tar -xf bcm4318*.tar.gz
  5. Run the script, which will install ndiswrapper on your system, and set it up.
    Code:
    sudo ./ndiswrapper_setup
  6. Use the internet (you will have to open the System menu at the top of the screen, go to Administration, and then click Networking. Configure the interface eth1 or wlan0, and connect to your wifi network)
  7. If it doesn't work, reboot.
  8. If that still doesn't help, post your problem here.

EDIT: This was updated on June 20, 2006 to make the size smaller, and include ndiswrapper so that an internet connection is not required. Also, some steps were removed from the installation process.

EDIT: This was updated on June 21, 2006 to add a 64-bit version (thanks redmoth!) and to make a few minor changes.

EDIT: This was updated on June 22, 2006 (I know, I have no life :P ) so that now it supports network manager AND WPA encryption (use WPA supplicant) -thanks magomago!

Comments and suggestions are appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: gz bcm4318.tar.gz (290.2 KB, 143 views)
File Type: gz bcm4318x64.tar.gz (307.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: gz bcm4318.networkmanager.tar.gz (511.9 KB, 202 views)
File Type: gz bcm4318x64.networkmanager.tar.gz (546.6 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by compwiz18 : 3 Days Ago at 09:37 PM.
compwiz18 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
First Cup of Ubuntu

Beans: 1
Default Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

>The point of this HOWTO is to make it as simple as possible....

You achieved your goal.....thank you very much......
tabgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
First Cup of Ubuntu

Beans: 8

Getting ready to try this. Does it install ndisrapper from the ubuntu install cd or do I need to be connected to the internet? Thanks.
revilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
First Cup of Ubuntu

Beans: 8

Ok...I tried this out. Had to connect with my wired NIC and enable the extra repositories to det ndiswrapper. My light didn't light up so I thought it didn't work, but when I rebooted it came on. I get the green bars in the toolbar but I can't laod any websites. Firefox just sits there and says something like locating page or loading page, something like that. I've got WEP setup on my router and properly entered in network properties and everything. I'm not sure why I can't view any sites. Any ideas?

Thank for this script. This is the closest I've come to getting wireless to work on my laptop (compaq v2508wm). I feel like I'm one step away from getting it to work completely.

Any help is appreciated.

**EDIT

I rebooted back into Ubuntu and now it's working. I'm not sure what happened but I'm posting from Ubuntu now thanks to compwiz18. Much appreciated. Only took me about a week to get it working .

Now I'm scared to install all the updates it's telling me are available for fear it will screw something up.

Last edited by revilot : 1 Week Ago at 02:13 PM.
revilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
5 Cups of Ubuntu

Beans: 36

I updated the guide to reflect comments and questions, so now it should be easier to use.
compwiz18 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 1 Week Ago   #6
First Cup of Ubuntu

Beans: 1

Thanks so much for the help! I was slightly discouraged when my wireless stopped working after I upgraded Breezy to Dapper, but it's working perfectly now.
Sakol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 1 Week Ago   #7
First Cup of Ubuntu

Beans: 2
Talking Re: HOWTO: Broadcom 4318 Wireless Cards

This did the trick with my Dell Inspiron B120 laptop. Thanks for the great info!
spesheled1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 1 Week Ago   #8
First Cup of Ubuntu

Beans: 1

My Presario V2000 works with these drivers... Thanks for your help!
-Brad
szweda83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 1 Week Ago   #9
First Cup of Ubuntu

Got mine working but can't see it in network manager. Anyway to use something other than wep? Maybe because it is marked as eth1 instead of wlan in network settings?
biggreensupreme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 1 Week Ago   #10
5 Cups of Ubuntu

Beans: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggreensupreme
Got mine working but can't see it in network manager. Anyway to use something other than wep? Maybe because it is marked as eth1 instead of wlan in network settings?

I couldn't figure out how to make network manager work. But if someone did with this script, and posts the instructions here, I will add the steps to the script so that it is automatically configured as well.
compwiz18 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
New Reply

Ubuntu Forums > Support & Resources > HOWTOs, Tips & Tricks