Re: Using Separate Keyring

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 09:48 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 23:41 -0400, Pat Suwalski wrote:
> > One of the problems I'm having with getting my nm-edit program to be
> > user friendly is that gnome-keyring asks about every single key that the
> > user tries to access.
>
> That's odd.  Once you've typed your password in once, it should unlock
> the keyring and you shouldn't have to type a password again until the
> timeout, or until you log out.  That's how it works for other apps, and
> for the nm-applet in particular.  Otherwise it would just be plain
> annoying.

I think he is talking about the application acl dialog box, not the
password dialog.  This should happen once for each keyring item that is
accessed by nm-edit.  Selecting always allow should work so you are
never prompted to allow nm-edit to that keyring key again.  I started
work on a better way for gnome-keyring to handle multiple requests, but
have been pulled away from it.

> Dan
>
> > I notice that all of the keys are just stored in the "default" keyring.
> >
> > My question is: would it make sense to store all of the NetworkManager
> > keys in a keyring (say, "wireless"). I don't know if gnome-keyring
> > supports this, but maybe then an application could authorize access to a
> > the whole keyring rather than one entry at a time?
> >
> > It would be convenient, but maybe I'm dreaming.

Gnome-keyring already supports multiple keyrings. In the long run I
definitely would like to see more applications use their own keyring
instead of throwing everything into the default.  More work needs to be
done on the keyring usability and user friendliness before this method
of using gnome-keyring will become a reality.