Fwd: Passing DNS from resolv.conf

Just found this link with some googling. I'm not a programmer, so if
someone can verify this works and write a quick how-to, it would be
really appreciated.

http://cvs.gnome.org/bonsai/cvsquery.cgi?branch=&dir=NetworkManager&who=dcbw&date=explicit&mindate=2005-06-15%2008:14&maxdate=2005-06-15%2008:16

Charlie

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Charles Lee <charles lee gmail com>
Date: Jun 21, 2006 12:55 PM
Subject: Re: Passing DNS from resolv.conf
To: networkmanager-list gnome org

Hi all,

A: Yes. I got it from CVS. I've been told that Debian/Ubuntu team
implemented a patch in their version of NM to make it compatible with
static IP, so I guess downgrading to 0.6.3 from Ubuntu repository
might be a choice for me. But at the same time I'm concerned about the
suspend to RAM bug that NM 0.6.3 has.

OK, so you mean CVS HEAD.

I'm not aware of a suspend2ram bug in network-manager, but perhaps i'm
not up-to-date.

A: I read somewhere that in order for NM (I think it was referring to
the current version in Ubuntu) to come back up after suspending to
ram, one has to disable wireless and network beforehand. I don't have
this problem with 0.7.0, however.

> I use a static IP for
> my wireless card, and although I have configured DNS servers in my
> /etc/network/interfaces, they don't seem to get picked up by nm.
>
> Here's the relevant section of my interfaces file:
>
> iface eth0 inet static
>         address 10.0.0.64
>         netmask 255.255.255.0
>         gateway 10.0.0.1
>         dns-nameservers 203.109.252.42 203.109.252.43

I'm not sure here, but i think ubuntu ignores interfaces listed in
/etc/network/interfaces. Debian does exactly this.

A: Ubuntu doesn't ignore it. It's the non-Debian/Ubuntu NM that ignores it.

My last nm from debian sid still ignores this interfaces. Do
you have a link for the ubuntu patch which makes it able to use
static ip?

A: It really was just a hear-say. I got this information from someone
else and have not tested it myself. Therefore I don't have a link.
Apologies if I made myself sound knowing more than I really do.

Cheers,

Charlie

--

I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as
they go flying by. --Douglas Adams

"Sometimes I think war is God's way of teaching us geography." --Paul Rodriguez