Re: Use interfaces not connected at boottime

I get this output so it seems to be a bug.
additional question: I have the (old) version 0.6.2-0ubuntu7
installed. Should I report the bug anyway, without testing with the
newest version? Building it from source did not work on my system...

Thank you,
Thomas

On 13/06/06, Michael Biebl <biebl teco edu> wrote:
Thomas Hecker wrote:
> I'm using ubuntu that's using (as far as I know) udev.
> Please tell me where I can see what kind of events the driver
> generates so I can tell you if this happens.

Run lshal -m net as root.
Now unplug/plugin your network adapter. If you get something like:

net_00_04_23_5d_d5_ea removed
net_00_04_23_5d_d5_ea added

your driver resp. its support in hal should be sufficient and NM should
automatically detect that the network adapter was added or removed. If
not, write a bug report for NM. Having to restart NM is a workaround and
not compliant to its "Just works" philosophy.
If you don't get the above hal events you should bug the driver and hal
authors.

Michael

> On 12/06/06, Michael Biebl <biebl teco edu> wrote:
>> Thomas Hecker wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I have an extern USB network adapter that's not connected at boottime
>> > so I connect it on demand only.
>> > That's why networkmanager doesn't know the interface. How can I change
>> > this behaviour to use networkmanager to configure my interface?
>>
>> You probably encountered the same bug as in [1]. NM does not seem to
>> properly detect hotplugged devices. I'm not sure if its a bug in NM or
>> rather hal resp. the driver which does not generate the correct hotplug
>> event. I already discussed that briefly with Dan but we didn't find the
>> real culprit yet.
>> As a workaround you can restart NM (depending on your disto
>> /etc/init.d/NetworkManager restart or
>> /etc/dbus-1/event.d/25NetworkManager restart) after attaching your usb
>> adapter.
>>
>> Michael
>>
>> [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=355785

universe are pointed away from Earth?